Seasonal foods

Seasonal foods
Farm to fork

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ra Lotsha!!

Ra Lotsha!!

My love affair with food began when I was born. I was born 3months premature and very small, so my mother overfed me making sure that I had a good chance of staying alive. It is during these formative years that the foundation, for my love hate relationship with food was laid.  

In my pre-teens I grew to be so skinny that my family nicknamed me ‘Mantsarana’ - the thin one. I was a very picky eater, refusing to eat anything that resembled a vegetable. This became a big problem in my home and dinner was always filled with tears as my mother forced me to eat brussel sprouts, broccoli and cabbage, I HATED DINNER...

When I was 10 years old, I moved in with my paternal grandmother in section M, Mamelodi west. According to Lobedu culture as the first born girl from my father, I had to move in with my grandmother so I could learn all about my Lobedu heritage. My grandmother had a ‘Tshemo,’ a well manicured garden in Mamelodi east, where she grew the most beautiful Butternuts, Morogo, Ditloo, Peanuts and Mielies. As her prodigy I would sometimes accompany her to the Tshemo, where we would spend days ploughing or harvesting the fields and she would tell me stories of Modjadji the Rain Queen. After spending the day at the Tshemo, she would always prepare a meal from ingredients she harvested from her garden; her food was always simple, wholesome and delicious. For the first time in my life I understood where my food came from and I fell deeply in love...

After a year with my grandmother, I went back to live with my parents. My parents were very social people and loved to entertain which meant that my home was always abuzz with people. My mother grew up in KZN with a mother who worked as a cook at a hotel in Durban, so her food was anything but simple. She made the most aromatic Curries and Stews, and the most elaborate Pastries and Desserts. Her cooking was always a production and I was on hand to assist with the prepping, tasting and washing up. Her creations were elaborate, well presented and everyone raved about how fabulous everything looked and tasted. She really understood the art of entertaining, always impeccably dressed and well groomed.

My love and passion for food was influenced by these special women in my life. My granny taught me about the beauty and simplicity of food, while my mother taught me how to transform simple ingredients into fabulous dishes. I am grateful to these women for giving me the strength to go after my dreams and follow my passions.

My journey through food has only just begun. I invite you to come on this journey with me to learn new ways of cooking and appreciating food.



Thobela!!




No comments:

Post a Comment